A much-needed anthology addressing a variety of potential psychological and physiological concerns, Adoption Therapy, Perspectives from Clients and Clinicians on Processing and Healing Post-Adoption Issues is a must-read for adoptees, adoptive parents, first families, and vitally, mental health professionals. With writing by adoptees, adoptive parents, and clinicians, Adoption Therapy is a first-of-its-kind and wholly unique reference book, providing insight, advice, and personal stories which highlight the specific nature of the adoptee experience. Topics Include:
• The psychological dangers in leaving trauma and grief buried and unaddressed
• The importance of community in healing the wounds of separation
• Understanding the physical and psychological effects of transracial adoption
• Attachment—including the inability to attach, inappropriate attachment, and the myth of Reactive Attachment Disorder
• Conception by rape: an adoptee speaks out
• Co-dependency, intimacy, and creating closeness
• The life-long effects of pre- and perinatal trauma
• Processing complex trauma, complex grief, and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
• Specific concerns for Late Discovery Adoptees
• The relationship among trauma, anger and rage, and substance abuse
• For adoptive parents and adoptees: red flags when working with a therapist
—Laura Dennis, Anthology Editor and Author of Adopted Reality, A Memoir
This anthology is available on Amazon
Please note that Lucy does not gain financially from the sale of this anthology
Want to collaborate with Lucy?
Have a proposal for a commission? Would like to discuss an opinion piece on Transracial adoption, Diversity, inclusion, cultural identity or Neurodiversity?
Maybe you have a question about acting? Looking for a mentor?
Then please get in touch by using the form below.
Lucy values and appreciates you having taken the time to reach out. While every effort will be made to respond in a timely fashion please be patient as sometimes work schedules can delay a response from Lucy